Sunday, July 23, 2006

Perspective on "The Perfect Table"

Sunny Sunday here. I have spent the weekend looking for a dining room table. Without furnishings here, I've been forced to get busy looking. If you aren't yet aware, the running joke is that it takes me forever to make a decision...or so some have accused! So, I've been looking for the "perfect" dining room table and chairs for probably two years or so. A difficult process for me because I was in an apartment, old and quaint, and now in a condo, carpeted and plain, and someday I'd like to be in a house. What's the problem, you might be thinking. The problem stems from my mom (possibly dad too). If you have ever been in our house you'd see a medium sized, round dining set. We have sat at that table from my earliest memories. It is still in great condition and is very functional for all the family gatherings. Versatile. Long-lasting. I'm looking for the same and it's hard to find something I can imagine using for the next 30 plus years! Perspective. It's just a dining room table and the conversations and shared meals that occur at this table will be more significant than the actual table. So be it...I purchased a table and chairs!

Your encouragement and prayers have been so helpful these past few days. I've been in the company of many folks and am feeling more myself as I get used to being here. One of my Tuesday night ladies wrote that she was praying for a friend I could just be myself around. I think that is the hardest part and a definate need for me. I can be myself here, but in new circumstances and situations, I tend to turn inward. They don't "know" me yet here and those deep relationships take time to form. I will trust the closeness of the Lord during this time and cherish it for what it is.

In the midst of this new start, I received news that my co-worker's (from Portland) husband has been diagnosed with cancer and was flying to New York because local doctor's would not operate on him. They are young, newly married and have a 5 month old baby boy. Perspective. Today I sat in the church as the pastor spoke about the brevity of life wondering, at almost 30 years old, is my life a third over? Half? Will I live to 60 or 90 or 45?

I am so grateful for all of you, deeply grateful!

No comments: