Thursday, March 17, 2011

Fragments-idiomas, boys, and more.

Fragments, why?  Because there are too many good little bits to let them fall between the cracks.

Part One:  Maricruz y Esperanza 

On most evenings during the week, Maricruz leaves POP at 5PM with Esperanza and they make their way down the boulevard to pick up Fabiola after school.  I try to catch Mari before she leaves the office because I thoroughly enjoy these ride-alongs!  It's a great time for me to check out the city, catch up with these ladies, and practice Spanish.  First, I must say, they are excellent learners and speak English very well.  It's easy for them, and therefore easy for all of us, to communicate in English.  However, this week I told them, "Hey.  I really need to practice Spanish.  So, I'll speak in Spanish, you speak in English."  OH MY did we laugh.  I mean laugh!!!!!!!!  The kind of laughing that makes you feel good.  The kind of laughing which lightens the load (and causes me to be free in fumbling through my vocabulary).  I ask questions about signs or idiomatic expressions and practice my verb conjugations.  (I especially like it when I get those conjugations correct and Espe encourages me with, "Wow!  You are very smart!;)  )  Anyway, here is an example in an attempt to invite you into one of those traffic-jammed-ride-alongs.  I often hear folks here using the courteous excuse me in a few different forms.  Easy.  Perdoname or disculpe.  This second word, disculpe does not roll off my tongue.  Instead, I like to say discuple.  Yeah, hard to point out the difference.  Look again.  I want to pronounce the "p" before the "l".  Maricruz and Esperanza could not stop laughing, neither could I.  They kept saying it, I would repeat, they would laugh.  From there it turned crazy and goofy as I began to incorrectly pronounce all the words they have so gingerly corrected.  I AM NOT an auditory learner. NUNCA!  If I can't see it, you can bet I won't be able to pronounce, let alone remember, the word!  Ahhh, but it makes for a good time.

Part Two: Mabel's Curiosity

Mabel:  Do you have a boyfriend in Antigua?
Me:  What?  A boyfriend in Antigua?  Me, no.  Why?  
Mabel:  You came back from Antigua looking beautiful and _______. (Hand gestures for something similar to walking the runway!)
Me:  (Laughing- more- and a little more- still laughing- now Mabel is laughing)  Are you serious? Really?  (More laughing at her gestures.)  No.  I didn't have time to find a boyfriend, I was too sick all week.
Mabel:  Really?  (She makes a face, cocking her head and squinting her eyes as if to say- I'm not buying it.)  Are you sure you don't have a boyfriend in Antigua?  We all (she gestures to the house and other girls) thought you looked more beautiful (which I took to mean I had some sort of sparkle about me after returning).  
Me:  Wow, thank you for the compliment.  Maybe I'm sparkling because I can have a conversation with you now because no, I do not have a boyfriend in Antigua.  (I have a hunch they doubt that I'm going to Antigua for school!)


THAT conversation took place on the porch before evening devotions with the rest of the house. THIS conversation took place after devotions.

Mabel:  Estephany.  How many boyfriends have you had?
Me:  (Smile.  This girl is curious.)  Toda mi vida?  In all my life?  Serious?
Mabel:  Yes.
Me:  (Counting on my hand explaining when and how long and why we went separate directions.)
How may have you had, Mabel?  (Lots of giggling on her part!)


I'm not sharing this to tell you about a boyfriend in Antigua.  I'm not sharing this to tell you about my past relationships.  I'm sharing this because it made me smile for many reasons.  One, I'm having a conversation with a young lady who I STRUGGLED to converse with my first few weeks here.  I asked her if she remembered that first week and how hard it was to communicate…we both laughed!  Two, this is evidence of girls growing up and their interest in boys. :)  And, these are the beginnings of conversations we should be having.  Three, I was able to express to Mabel the importance of finding un buen hombre-a good man-who knows and loves God.  I've often thought about these girls in the distant future.  Chances are, they will one day marry.  But who will he be and what will he be like?  Will they break through their family of origin issues or will they fall into destructive relationships?  I HOPE for them and I pray for their futures.  I know I'm not alone in those prayers and I'm thankful to know there are MANY who love these ladies and are battling for their futures in prayer.

Part Three:  ChipIn

You may not have noticed, but I have.  The ChipIn over there on the right, it's growing:).  Gracias a Dios y gracias a ustedes!  It's still wrong…we're at 30%!

Part Four:  La Cocinera 

I have set out with intent to have some fun in the kitchen here.  Over that past few years, my time in the kitchen has diminished.  (Wait, I'm not sure if it's ever been my forte!  Yes, mom, I hear you.:)  )  I love to bake, but cooking is different.  Anyway, I realized this is a great time because I can't use the excuse of homework or plans with friends to get out of making a meal.  First on the list was Caldo Real- typical soup here in Guate.   Lots of vegetables in a clear broth---beef, chicken, pork etc.  The soup was good and I found a new-to-me vegetable, guisquil.  It's also known as chayote, vegetable pear, and according to wikipedia, in the States our slang term for this yummy veggie is old people lips.  Made me curious and I'm going to hunt for it when I get home.  Have you seen this in your local grocery store?

Part Five:  The Run

It has been a few months since I've moved at a pace faster than 4mph.  No, I cannot just walk out my door here and go on a leisurely run through the neighborhoods for a few different reasons.  #1 It's not a good idea for reasons of personal safety.  #2  It would be a hill workout every time and honestly, I'm not into hills.  I run Terwilliger when someone tells me it's part of the training, not because I feel like running hills.  So, for the first time since I arrived, I went running, albeit on a treadmill.  Surprisingly, I did not miss the Portland neighborhoods I usually run through, I did not mind that I was on a machine, I didn't mind that it was 5:45AM, and I didn't mind that I forgot my ipod.  I was too happy to be running.  I will quickly admit, I'm not a runner.  I'm not that person who says, "Oh, I miss running, I only went three times last week."  No.  I run because it's exercise, usually free, and it allows me to slow my brain down for a while-thank you endorphins.  Lauren and I found a gym up the hill and another one down the boulevard to check out another morning.  I'm hopeful this will become a regular occurrence because though I'm not a runner, I run.

1 comment:

Stephanie Krause said...

Love reading your posts Stephanie. Praying for you!