Saturday, March 05, 2011

For Sara!

"I need some pictures of Antigua so I can see where you are."  This is the message I received early last week.  Here you go, my dear Sara!  Antigua is nice.  It's a place for walking (with caution). There's an abundance of cafes, restaurants, little markets, and language schools.  I did not have a particularly great week there, something like the flu which meant I spent way too much time on my bed with flashcards while the sun shone and the markets called.  However, I did meet some really wonderful people who live in the same neighborhood as POP.  And that means…I will stay at POP and drive over in the mornings with a few others in the coming weeks.  It's a quick 20-25 minute drive and much easier for me to be here rather than living with a family there.  I'm glad to be back.  One of Antigua's charms, the doors!  I was constantly wanting to take pictures of the doors, but knew I'd be disappointed with what I actually captured.  Annie is on her way here the first week of April, with her camera, and I already communicated that I have dreams of a "doors" installation for her next photography project.  Yes, Annie, it's time.  ; )

Meet Antigua...




In the morning, before the streets are crowded. 


My favorite time of day, up with the sun. 


 


Plaza Mayor in the middle of Antigua. 


One of many cathedrals. 


 


My residence for the week. 


The "Arco" and Volcan de Agua 


 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes the Anderson genes are showing. "Doors and clotheslines", two of my favorite subjects to photograph. I'll have to show you my Swedish door and window photos.
Keep lovin' those girls. Aunt P

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sara - :-) for encouragin Steph to shara photos for all of us! These are beautiful! Antigua is beautiful! Too bad to hear you were not feeling in tip top shape! Maybe a weekend excursion - I have a few names of hotels to stay at! A guy I work with is married to a Guatemalan women - they go there often! XO - NTT

Unknown said...

oh s, you make me smile. these are really great photos. and i have been meaning to tell you that i dig the new blog pic, absolutely gorgeous!!

The Careys said...

love antigua. love guate. love YOU! wish we could come for a visit! love, tuck