Wednesday, February 23, 2011

to know Love

Come out from behind, little one.  You have something to teach me.

Maria.  Doesn't make eye contact for too long.  Would rather be in the shadows than in the center.  Didn't want her picture taken in the beginning, but now smiles for my camera…on occasion and more willingly with a newfound friend.  Cried for days for the one whose hand caused her harm.  Is, for the first time, sitting in a classroom.  Is learning how to play and, it seems for the first time, laugh and run free from fear.  Speaks more Spanish than she let on in the beginning!  Her story is hard.  It reminds me of the books I read in junior high when I first became aware of the term "child abuse"-though I could not comprehend-still cannot comprehend.  I want to grab her and hold her and hug her…touch to her seems foreign.  I smile when I see her running hand-in-hand with Karen.  It seems like progress.  She smiles timidly and speaks quietly when I ask her her age, if she speaks Kaqchikel, if she's ready to play 'Escondite' (hideout, aka hide and seek).  I want to know her.  I want her to know Love.

5 comments:

Sara said...

What an amazing prayer for every child--to know LOVE--so simple yet so incredibly intricate as well. Sending prayers down South to you and your girls!

Anonymous said...

To me it is so simple - LOVE. Yet - so sad that it is unfamilar to others. You are in the right place - your patience, LOVE & touch will soon be a comfort to her & that in itself will be a beautiful day! Prayers to you & 'your girls'! XO

Anonymous said...

above..NTT :-)

Unknown said...

Time, patience, LOVE...hopefully in time she will see and feel these. It is hard for us to comprehend abuse, or to see how a parent can be this way, unfortunately for some it happens but fortunately, there are wonderful people like you, to take a hand, play a game of hide and seek, give a loving smile, a little hug. I love you so much my darling daughter.....

Anonymous said...

How simple LOVE is, yet so complicated for many to receive. Bless you Stephie, I know there are smiles upon you looking down from Heaven. Snow today. Love you, Aunt Patty