Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Somedays, it's not all smiles.

"He will not crush the weakest reed or put out a flickering candle.  Finally, He will cause justice to be victorious.  And His name will be the HOPE of all the world."
-Matthew 12:20-21

How do you keep from falling into pieces?  How can a heart be acquainted with pain and hurt and disillusionment and still survive?  How can abuse be endured and then crushed by the young innocence of a little girl? 

I don't know how, but I'm witnessing-DAILY-examples of young ladies who stride forward.  

I encountered it this morning.  And, I knew it was coming.  It did not crush, thanks God it has lightly brushed my soul.  If otherwise, I don't know how I'd keep going.  I knew it was coming because yesterday was one of those calm before the storm kind of days.  

One instance, merely one.  Sarahi.  I shared pictures of her here last week.  I spoke of her spunk and how she came to the home.  Unfortunately, not much is known.  During recreo (recess), I usually play basketball with the girls.  Sarahi is a natural.  She is barely big enough, tall enough, to dribble the basketball, but she has great ball handling skills!  Such a coordinated little tot.  I swooped her up and said to her, "Sarahi, I like you and think you are beautiful."  She just smiled and started pushing my chin up so she could see how in the world I had a nose piercing and then started pulling on my earrings and asking if they were painful?!?  She just cracks me up!  I can say honestly, I don't have favorites here.  How can you?!?!  They are all amazing and beautiful!  But, this little one had my full attention today.  

I'm not sure why, but Sarahi (pronounced Sah-Rah-E) leaves school after recreo and heads back to the house with the Tia AKA House Mom.  Maybe it has to do with her being new?  Maybe her age?  Maybe they're working with her behavior?  I don't know.  She was meandering up the hill behind me and mumbling to herself, wearing a gloomy face.  I went into my house, came back out, and found her standing there crying.  Crying for her mom, "Quiero mi mama."  I want my mom.  Ok, let's go find her and take you home.  Right!  I (we) still do not know the story with mom…was Sarahi left on purpose?  Is mom looking for her?  They put ads out in the paper for missing people, much the same as home, I assume.  I grabbed her and sat down with her waiting for the Tia.  She just kept quietly crying and mumbling I want my mom.  


Yeymy-Sarahi-Viviana 
All that to say…what do you do?  How do you answer?  And how do these wonderful folks who work diligently here keep their heads above water?  You just do.  You look ugly in the face, name it, and then keep moving forward with these girls.  Thank God for Ninoshka-the counselor who works with each girl individually.  Thank God for Vilma- the social worker who represents these girls in court and who grew up at Prince of Peace, went off to university, and returned to work here for the sake of these girls.  And Violeta and Laura and Blanca and Lizet and Dr. Jim and Kay and Juan and Salvador and Vicki and Deisy and Celeste and Soli and Nancy and Marii Cruz and the teachers… (separate post on these wonderful folks soon).

I wrote this on my first day here, within the first few hours.  It was in my daily reading and seemed so fitting for the circumstances.  This scripture, on this paper, has floated about my mind and my dwelling-on my nightstand, next to this computer, on the table, as a bookmarker etc.  Today, it was time to share.

"He will not crush the weakest reed or put out a flickering candle.  Finally, He will cause justice to be victorious.  And His name will be the HOPE of all the world."
-Matthew 12:20-21

And guess what???!!!??  These girls need sponsors!  I'm praying God will BREAK YOUR HEART for the benefit of these beauties!  (Sorry, but not really;)!)  Leave me a message or send me an email.  It's easy to get you info and I believe this is yet another reason I'm here.  


Yeymy-Sarahi-Vanesa on the tire swing.  


Entertainment. 


The sparkle shows up in a smile! 

***I know this place, Guatemala City, is not any different than the city you live in.  Unfortunately, what I'm writing about is all to familiar across the globe…this is merely my experience---brown eyes that press my soul on this ordinary day.

No comments: