Wednesday, February 02, 2011

I smell Latex gloves

I can hardly contain myself! Today, este dia, I gave my first injection! Wha???!!?? I'm not sure if I should share that, but it's true. Kay, Dr. Jim's wife, showed me a few more of the ropes today. I've been observing patients in the room with Dr. Jim, but today she asked me if I wanted to help on the pharmacy side. (That's the best I can explain, but I promise a lengthier post to really give you the inside scoop soon.)

Here it is: A young guy, probably about 15 or 16, has a bad infection and needed a shot instead of pastillas (pills). I watched Miss Kay (as she is lovingly called here by the girls) give an injection prior to a young woman and she talked me through the steps both times.


 

Also, you need to understand this from the young guy's perspective…he did not know this was my first time :) (OF COURSE NOT!), imagine it for him and take into account the culture! Two woman, a young guy, "lower your pants just below your hip"…he was chatting, he was so embarrassed. And then, when I finished, he turned around and was sweating!!! Now, I know the shot was a bit painful, but I kinda think it was the embarrassment. I understand, poor guy!

So, here it is, a picture of the exact spot. It sort of feels like that first dollar bill you make and you hang up in your new business. Wow, I know I'm weird and silly, but it sure felt affirming!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

omg s!!! this is so great, I totally wish I could text you right now...

Anonymous said...

That is fantastic! All steps in the right direction. Jenn

Karin said...

LOVE this. This story is definitely one for your autobiography :) So proud of you.

Sara said...

Awesome!!!Prayers being answered! So the clinic serves the whole community? I thought it was just for the school. Hope for more thrilling days for you this week!

Sara said...

Jillian says "I want to talk to talk to Swephanie!"

Anonymous said...

Awesome. If that was penecillin you were injecting no wonder he was sweating...it is so thick and goes in so slow. OR MOST guys just break a sweat walking into a Dr.s office!!LOL So glad you are getting some hands on. That's always a big plus in learning. Will talk to you soon. Love U. (Swephanie...how cute Ms. jillian)

Anonymous said...

Boy does that bring back memories for me! Was your heart pounding in you chest ? Antibiotics hurt alot when injected,no wonder he was sweating Im surprized he did not faint. This is just the beginning Steph,Wish I was there to help show you a few tricks, Love ya Aunt Trish

Anonymous said...

WOW! You are living your dream! Incredible! SO happy for you! Setting up my Skype acct this weekend is a priority! :-) Love you....NTT

Anonymous said...

Steph, maybe you can "shadow" your Aunt Trish when you get home and learn some of her "tricks"!! Love You. M&D

Shauna said...

Stephanie! I had some major catching up to do on your blog. Wow! You are already having such an amazing experience! What a confirmation that this is exactly where you are supposed to be! Praying for you and for those beautiful little girls! So glad they have you to love on them! Love you and miss you!