Saturday, January 22, 2011

In the Beginning


Dayana 

Velveth
It's so hard to know what to write about.  Or rather, it's so hard to know where to start.  There is just so much I want to share, but it will take time and the longer I'm here, the more I'll really be able to accurately portray what's happening here @ Prince of Peace.  I would most definitely rather tell you about these young ladies, but I've still so much to learn about them and their stories.  In the meantime, I guess I can share what life has been like the last couple of days and a few pictures of some of the lovely ladies I've been hanging out with.

Their living situations…there are 5 different living quarters for the girls.  The younger girls, from about 6-15ish, live in houses with house moms (Laura, Violeta, and Maria).  There are two of these houses, three tias (aunts) and two houses and each have several rooms with 3 or 4 girls sharing a room.  The tias rotate so they have days off.  Each of these homes have 19 girls at the moment.  Casa A and Casa B.  The houses themselves are quite large with big living areas as you walk in, a small kitchen (the cooking is done in the main kitchen over yonder), a long dining room, bedrooms downstairs and upstairs, a huge front porch, a small tv room off the porch, and an area down a few steps where the girls wash their own clothes.

I've been spending my time in Casa A.  I think tonight, I finally have their names down, phew!  There are many of them and their names are not usually familiar.  Por ejemplo, Dairyn.  Looks kinda like you'd pronounce it "Dare-in."  No!  And the girls certainly worked with me on that one.  We sat on the steps of the house as I continued to try to say it right.  "No, No!  Dairyn!"  So, as much as I can tell at this point:), she is "Die-E-din."  We'll see as I progress!!!!!!!!!!!!:)  Ah, love.  And I'm here for another 3.75 months!  Lord, help me-save my heart.


Vanesa, Rosa, Mayra, Dayana, Alicia, and Gaby

The other 3 houses are for the older girls and considered “Independent Living” homes.  Actually, it’s more like 2 homes and a set of apartments.  Anyway, there will be more to come on the older girls as I get to know them better. 


Yulisa 
I see the girls during meals, hanging out before and after, a bit of time at school during recess, and yesterday during school.  I shadowed the English teacher because I will be taking her classes for a week while she and her husband travel back to the US.  I’m pretty excited.  I think we’ll have fun.  You can still say a prayer for me.  Spanish is quickly coming back and I'm able to fumble my way through conversation, but I want to be able to communicate in class with them.  The girls who are not as shy are helpful, but I'm pretty sure I’ll be dragging my dictionary along on those days!

I took my camera to dinner tonight.  It’s hilarious, some of them don’t like their picture taken (which really makes me sad.  I know it runs deep within them, but I’ll still be pumping them with doses of affirmation.), others love to pose, and others run off with the camera and have fun!  Es bueno!


Dulce and Gaby 
Lastly, to make you suffer along with me and to cause you to pray, today, on a car trip with Dr. Jim, I learned that two of these sweet things are true orphans.  They can be adopted, but Guatemala’s government stopped adoptions to the US (and maybe other countries???) because of the rumors that children were being adopted and then sold for their organs.  I hate writing that, but I do recall hearing something similar in Mexico.  Anyhow, I asked if they could be adopted here.  The answer?  Yes, but most of the families here want babies.  Seems the same as home.  Tonight, after we finished dinner and while carrying our plates to the kitchen and stacking our chairs, the older of these two girls started crying.  Something about the grilled cheese sandwiches we had for dinner caused a memory of her mother to come to mind.  Hug ‘em and hold ‘em tight.


Some of Casa A's ladies. 






And one last thing, I'm beginning to test an idea---is it ever possible to give too many hugs?

Photo to the right: Standing-Velveth, Maria, Dapne, Marjorie, Gabriela, Rosa, Flor, Alicia, Viviana. Sitting-Dulce, Blanca, Yulisa, Mayra, Vanesa.

1 comment:

Brad and Mirela said...

Steph, I'm tearing up reading your blog. Tearing up of joy that you're there and already so relationally engaged with these girls. Look at you using spanish here and there on this post!! I love it!
I'm also tearing up to know more bits and pieces of the reality that some of these sweet girls live in. I'm so thankful the Lord took you there.
And answering your question: no way, jose! There's no such thing as "too many hugs"!!! Hug along and love them well!
Missing you since Tuesday. :)
Praying for you friend.