Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I'm in Guatemala!

I’m here.  Art and Nancy gathered me from airport, which was a breeze compared to what I’ve experienced in the past.  By the time I walked off the plane, made my way through the airport, grabbed my bags and walked through customs/immigration, a mere 20 minutes had passed.  The flight in was beautiful, rolling hills, lakes and volcano(s?).   I took a few pictures so you could see what I saw, but I doubt the camera has done justice.   Sorry, my camera is up in my house.  (Fixed that, here they are.)
























Initially, I believed I would be staying in a room and sharing a bathroom with some of the girls in one of the houses.  They have dropped me off in the guest house-3 bedrooms, kitchen, living room, 2 bathrooms, back deck overlooking the rolling hills and neighbors' homes.  Um, royal treatment???  I’m not sure if this is permanent, but it’s beautiful.  I have my door open and can here the younger girls up the hill from me playing outside, laughing and screaming.:)  And the birds, I love those birds.

The home is situated on top of a hill (not really a hill or a mountain, but I’m not sure what to call it) and if trees weren’t blocking my sight, I’d have a view of the valley.  I’m guessing you can see it from somewhere on the property.  (I checked that out later today, yes.  The view is wild!  BIG city.  And over in the corner of the living room, hidden in an armoire, is a TV.  This is good for the following reason, I heard the older girls come over here to watch TV…I’m already thinking about making brownies and hanging out with them!

I was given a quick tour this afternoon.  POP is on 8 acres, I’ll have to take pictures to show you all the buildings-school, independent living homes for the older girls, houses for the younger girls, team quarters for groups that come in for weeks at a time, offices and a few other homes…and a clinic.  I’ve got so much rattling in my brain, but I’m going to wait to share what Dr. Jim, Nancy and Art shared with me this afternoon.  Basically, what they are doing here and how the thing runs.  It’s amazing, lot’s of moving parts to make it happen. 

The girls are already checking me out!!!  So curious, they are.  They are making me work (Spanish), but they also know some English so I’m making them practice too!  Most of them are pretty shy, a few are not and they’ve just run up, grabbed my hand and had me following them (participating in hide and seek).  If they are in groups of two or three, watch out!  The shy veneer disappears and they are comfortable and curious. 

Mi Corazon es bien.  My heart is good.  I have a lot to learn.  The things I have already heard about their stories, I’m glad to see they have smiles on their faces. 

Sorry if this is choppy.  I’m living on a few hours of sleep and I just wanted to post something quickly to give you an update.  

And yep, the weather feels like spring.  They say it's eternally spring here:).   

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds AMAZING....I think I am on the next flight there....Seriously this whole thing with you is tugging at my heart strings! Thank you for letting me live through you....Can't wait to see pics! XO - NTT

Anonymous said...

Cool! Glad you made it. Been to Prince of Peace several time...led groups from here in the states a couple of times. My mom lives in Antigua now full-time (but is here in states from now til Feb 8th)...May you have a great time of ministry -- I know you will be blessed and stretched in the process.

Dios bendiga,
Susan

iamworshippinghim said...

Hi girl so pleased with all your easement of trip and greeting. It is a beautiful land. Eager tho hear of ask of Gods orchestation in relationships and language. May His love cover and fill you. Hugs and excitement of your journey. Love Tami