Sunday, October 09, 2011

sidestroke.


I was a lifeguard for a period of time in college.  It's not as glamorous as you might initially think.  I distinctly remember needing to clear the pool on more than one occasion (during peak times) because we found feces either floating or at the bottom of the pool…who's eating their fiber!?!  Along with the territory of lifeguarding came swimming lessons and thus teaching various strokes.  The sidestroke is one I especially like(d) and I personally think takes coordination and comfort; coordination to get the scissor kick and arm stroke just right in order to glide quickly and smoothly through the water and comfort because you can't hold your head above water to work efficiently.  You must be comfortable relaxing in such a way that your mouth and eye are just barely above water.  I'm not an expert so don't go calling your swim instructor, but that's what I learned and what I remember.  The sidestroke was also a stroke I often used when I was exhausted and needed rest, but still needed to keep moving and stay afloat (the back stroke also was a good back-up plan).  I think there are going to be times in this next quarter when I am definitely going to need to bring in a little swim wisdom, my sidestroke.  I went into the hospital today and though we have not yet been assigned any patients, I KNOW it is going to be exhausting-learning on top of feeling inadequate and a definite novice, thinking and being on my toes consistently, being uber aware, growing (we all know growing can be somewhat painful)…I've decided there will be plenty of opportunity to implement the sidestroke.  Coordination and comfort when it gets tiring, mind boggling, and I need to keep moving forward, but need some rest along the way.  There have already been life and scheduling changes I knew would happen, but that have "felt" different than I expected.

It's early, but tonight I'm going to practice the sidestroke and I'm calling it a night.  Sweet dreams swimmers.

No comments: