Monday, April 30, 2007

3 Thoughts

The smell of fresh cut grass and gasoline reminds me of my mom! Sorry, mom...actually I don't mean that as anything but a compliment and a sweet memory! I pulled into my place this afternoon and the just mowed lawn and scent of a lawnmower close by took me back to my bright yellow (I mean bright, like almost florescent!) bedroom. Those sleepy summer days waking up to mom mowing at 10am in the morning, too early for a teenager to be waking up in the summer ;) and trust me closing the window was useless! Ahh, but dear mother it is a good memory of climbing out of bed, calling friends to see who was headed out to the orchard for our daily afternoons of swimming in the river and jumping off "the rock!"

My fish died while I was in Puerto Rico. I had a fish, did I mention that on here yet, and called it Nicoya. The fish didn't eat a whole lot, never when I was watching and sprinkled its food on the water's surface. I wondered how it was surviving. I took the lack of interest in food as a sign that Nicoya was either in shock of a new environment (my wonderful home) or I had chosen an anorexic fish. :) I thought just maybe it would survive while I was gone, but when I walked in the door, the fish was, well, floating on the surface. Sorry Fish...good thing I didn't go for a dog yet! Really I believe I could take care of a dog, but I'm too selfish right now and like the freedom of roaming around the state, country, world. I think I'll try another fish first!

Music, I'm listening to some new piano music I just downloaded, George Winston-Forest. I've been waiting all week for a cd mom was sending in the mail. Nik, you did an incredible job creating a beautiful compilation of our memories with gramp. And Uncle Rog, you've always been good at finding the music that inspires, I love the songs Nik chose...I'm particularly drawn to vanilla...just the piano, so simple, pure. It is a language my soul loves to listen to. It's a curious thing why I was so pained by it growing up...I despised sitting there and practicing and unfortunately won that battle and found myself consumed in other things. I've got one of those lists (yeah, I know you're all surprised by that) of things to do before I die. I'm doing ok on the travel part :)...anyway, learning the piano is on that list so maybe one day I will play.

I'm including a few more pics from P.R.

Playa Flamenco, outside of Dewey, Culebra Island, Puerto Rico...



This was taken from our window. Sure, at first glance this "Hotel Opportunity" looks like a great find. Quaint, lots of character, probably some original floors with old staircases etc. HOWEVER, that little place off to the right...yeah well we discovered through the night that they play really loud reggaeton the entire night...CAVEAT EMPTOR, let the buyer beware!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Steph....once again, your words always move me to tears at some point in your blog! It's probaby just because I have been & always will be an emotional sap! LOVE your pics! I have to ditto you on the piano...I TOO deeply regret my immature 8th grade mentality of not wanting to play/practice the piano! I can hear my parents saying "you will appreciate this once you are older...just practice" Oh how I wish I would have listened & con't! Someday, I will re-learn & fully appreciate it! It's on my "list" as well! Puerto Rico's beaches look amazing! I want to go! WOW! I think our personality to "hold on" is inbred in us! I am the exact same way & drives some of our family nuts that everything is a "tradition" to me & has to be repeated year after year, there is comfort in that I believe. Well, I love you dearly & miss you much. Soon, XOXO, Nik