Monday, April 23, 2007

Culebra Bike Rentals

Yeah, we rented bikes the full day we had on the island. And it was hot and humid! Can't you tell by my face, I'm sweating...or maybe you can't. Anyway, we went to the bike shop in the morning. Actually, this is the morning I talked with mom really early and learned about Gramp. Leah left me alone for a while and headed out to get breakfast...I joined her shortly and we just sat and watched the Iguanas as I sipped on my coffee and poured out some feelings. "This one is called grateful and I'm so thankful I went to visit in February." After we downed some more cups of coffee we walked across an old bridge that appeared as though it used to rise and fall for the boats, but had since retired. The owner at the bike shop quickly suited us for our bikes (grab one here and yep looks good, there you go) and we quickly headed out after obtaining a few bungees to hold our bags on the rack. Just one quick, necessary stop at the grocery store for some cold remedies and we made the not quite gruesome ride toward the beach. It was a fairly uneventful ride out and once we crested the pass to the other side of the island, it was an easy coast down hill. You know, I'm always glad to have working brakes and in this case the front was all I had. No problem, esta bien! It is good, especially with a beautiful beach waiting at the end. I was surprised once we pulled into the park to see all the food stands and park rangers. I didn't expect it, but it was nice to have cold water and rice and beans there for a later lunch. The ranger whistled his whistle at us and pointed at the bike rack for our parking pleasure. Once we finally found our way past the signs and other distractions, we planted ourselves on towels and Leah headed straight for the water. My phone rang and Nik was calling on me to see how I was doing. Both her and Uncle John made it clear, "Grandpa loved to celebrate and he would have wanted you to stay and enjoy the rest of your time." (Though I agreed wholeheartedly, it was such a relief and release to finally get home and just give and receive some stabilizing hugs.) I hung up with Nik and laid there in the warm sun and soft sand trying to take in and understand and wrap my head around emotions and being away and what I was feeling. I was at one of the most beautiful beaches and as I sat in the clear blue-turquoise-green water and looked all around, I couldn't take in all the beauty. I didn't want to leave the water for fear of not capturing all that I could or should. As I type this I realize this as a pattern in my life. Sometimes, I have a hard time leaving places and people because I never want to cut short all that is for embracing. When gram and gramp used to come up to the house for dinner or a holiday, we would walk them out and turn the lights out as they drove off. I remember so often watching them drive up the road and I would wait. I'd wait until I couldn't see their lights anymore. I know they were just going over the road and down to their house, but something in me didn't want to miss a moment. I'm not like this in all things, but I have weird tendencies to be sentimental and hold on...not so much to actual tangible objects, but to places and people. If I'm not holding on with my presence, I've most likely dropped a piece of myself in that place and it becomes hard for me to leave. You've heard it said before, "Your greatest strength will be your greatest weakness." Investing in people and places is easy for me, but it rips me up that much more when I leave or move or make any changes. Having realized that, I seem to have jumped in here in Orlando in many ways, but scared that I'm going to rip another piece of my heart so I don't FULLY invest. What am I saying...I don't even know...I'm just typing and this is what you get to read. Again, I'm just processing and letting you peek through the window!:)

Well, that's good for now...I'll share some more pics soon. I'm thinking about buying the business below based solely on "island cart philosophy." Any silent partners interested?

Love you guys! And by the way, thanks for all of your hugs...I miss those embraces.

2 comments:

David & Nikki said...

LOVE that cart! That goes along with our Jimmy Buffet motto "I gotta go wher it's warm" I will be a silent partner with you! I am all about relaxation & enjoying LIFE! XOXO

Anonymous said...

Hey Steph...loved reading your words...you have a talent and should consider expanding your adventures and add authoring to your list of many accomplishments. I am so often touched by your thoughts and am reminded that I should take more moments in my day to experience life:) What I really wanted to tell you though is just as your thoughts turned to written words about loving the piano and wanting to play again...your piano is soon going to be ready for a new home...or maybe a return to mom and dad. Our house sold yesterday and we will be moving early June...do you want the piano shipped to Florida? Hee:)Hee:) It will soon be ready for new loving fingers. Thank you for letting the girls learn to play it for the past three years...it's been a joy!
Megan