Monday, January 30, 2006

I am still taking it all in. I am realizing that Costa Rica is not at all what I expected. It is very beautiful etc., but city life is so normal. Other than walking everywhere, they have what seems the same conveniences that we have. "My brothers" have a play station that they love to play and there is a television in every room. I know that I am here to learn the language and I think I will see different lifestyles when I get to Samara and in San Jose.

The weekend was not what we planned! We traveled to San Jose on a bus to catch another bus to the volcanó. We ran around downtown San Jose searching furiously for the bus stop and it was not in the place we had on the map. Anyway, after walking around in circles for a few blocks, I think the gentlemen selling fruit on the corner recognized us and asked "Volcan Poas?" "Si, si!!" He pointed us in the direction and we were only a block away! So, we sucessfully found the bus and rode comfortably to Alejuela where we then stopped to pick up the rest of the ticos and ticas. Several people stood in the isle for about 1-2 hours. Once we arrived at the top, I was wishing I had packed my raincoat and warmer clothes. It was very cold, rainy, and foggy, Oregon/Washington weather. We walked to the view point and looked out into total white space. It kind of made my stomach drop though because standing on the edge into nothing but white was eerie. Because it was so cold and wet, we decided to head back to Heredia. No sense in staying at the cabin if we are stuck inside.

I really missed being home on Sunday. Church, regular activities, familiar faces, and such, but I also know my time here is short. I ask for continued prayer for learning, safety, and my next host family. I hear conditions in Samara are a bit more rugged (i.e. big spiders etc.!!!!!!!!)

I have to run for "la cena!"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephanie I am so glad to hear from you. You are really picking up the language well, mi amiga. I are constantly in my prayers and thoughts. I want to see pictures please! lOVE YA,
Billina

Anonymous said...

STEPH!
I have loved reading about your adventure so far! I miss you but I know you are having an amazing experience. I sent you a card but I don't know if you got it before you left...so if you didn't there will be one waiting for you when you get home. I love you lots and am praying for you!
Love,
Lauren

Anonymous said...

Steph! Great to hear about your adventures. I check everyday to see if there is something new to read. Sounds like everything is going well. You're in my thoughts and prayers daily. Can't wait to read about more of your adventures. Love ya!

Beth

David & Nikki said...

Hey Stepher...Glad to hear your first adventure was a good experience. That is too bad you could not stay in the cabin. I am with you though, why stay if you are trapped inside. So, when do you head to Samara? Are your two new traveling amigas going along too? Were you able to open my pictures I sent? Missin you...love & prayers are being sent your way every day....I love you, Nik

Anonymous said...

Hi Steph! I really miss you. When will you come back? I love you Steph! Love, Bethany Anne Shirley

Hi Steph! I hope you are having a nice time in Costa Rica. I wanted to tell you that my 3/4 grade bball team won our 1st game, 32-14. Your friend, Mads

Hi Steph...keep up the hard work! Mads is home sick from school today so she got to write a note to you, too. Love and prayers, Megan