Friday, January 27, 2006

Friday afternoon and I am beat. Everyday is passing so quickly...school at 8:30 until 12:30, exploring and studying until 5, back to mi casa at 6, la cena at 7, and then off to study and sleep!

Today was our exam. I made it to the next level, which doesn´t seem like much except that I know some verbs and how to say a few things!:) I´m sure it sounds like "I want walk store." Esta bien! (It is good!)

After school, Anita, Eloisa and I walked to the central market for lunch, for "casado" (not to be confused with casado=married man or cansada=tired WHEW!) It is a plate of rice, beans, salad, potatoes, and fish or chicken or beef! The market is full of local fruits and vegetables and lots of raw meat. The smell of raw meat was overwhelming, but the fruit is so beautiful. Every morning Maria (she works for my family and lives in another attached room) has fresh fruit cut for breakfast. It is so sweet!!! Watermelon, melon, papaya.

We walked around the center of Heredia dragging our feet. I think this learning is just a little strenuous so we are looking forward to tomorrow. At 7 we will take a bus to San Jose (south of Heredia) and then head north to Volcan Poas. We have reserved a little cabin for tomorrow night after we tour the volcano. It sounds nice and relaxing, but I hope it isn´t too cold. I didn´t bring a rain jacket because it is summer here. Now I am thinking it would have been a good idea!

Paula, if you are reading this, stop now......(I warned you!). As the weather warms up, the bugs come out! I have only seen two cockroaches and only one in the house! Thanks God. I have determined to look the other way and not let it bother me, but I don´t know what it will be like in Samara!

I never knew making a phone call could be so difficult. Today, I tried to call my poor mother and the phone card she put in my Christmas stocking doesn´t work here. I stood at the phone booth pushing all the different codes and numbers. None of the combinations were working for me. Anita tried. Eloisa tried. Then we realized I must use a calling card from Costa Rica to make international calls. So, I tried to call collect. When the operator informed me that she had an answering machine, I said ok. Expecting to leave a message, I suddenly heard a busy signal on the other end! She hung up on me! I will try again mom!

Thanks for all of your prayers. They are a protective shield around me and I know they are being answered daily. Megan, tell Beth to keep it up! She is my little praying friend in Powers! Tuesday night ladies...I miss seeing you all, but I am going to read Ch. 11 this weekend! Warrior Princess loose in Costa Rica! Happy Birthday Nate and Uncle Rog! Leah, I will see you in only 2 short weeks, you better be on that plane! Bless you all!

Hasta luego!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephers! It sounds like you are having so much fun. I'm sure that you are definately looking forward to tomorrow. Sight seeing is so much fun. You learn so much. I will definately be praying for your safety in traveling and exploring the country. I'm glad that everything is going well with you. Don't get freaked out by any la coucaracha's! Yes, my spanish is coming back to me. Love ya Steph!

Beth

David & Nikki said...

OK Stepher, no excuses for not taking pictures from your weekend adventure! I have been "researching" where you have been! :-) Did you see any "green-yellow Squirrels"? The ONLY place they live is in the Volcan Poas National Park! Did you happen to stay at these cabins? "Lo que tu quieras"?? :-) Anywho, can't wait to hear about your first adventure! Love you...Nik

Anonymous said...

hi hef. down here at mom and dads looking at bulls. suoer cowboy and i are going to klamath falls on friday. just checked out all of your doins down somewhere. hope you are having fun.please excuse my typing.take a picture of those multi-colored squirells that nikki was talking about. lets get some pictures going!!!!! luv u e