Friday, May 11, 2007

Mother's Day-Exposing you to Honor you!

As I sit here writing the thoughts my heart pushes through my hand and ultimately the black ink on this white card, I realize how meaningless sometimes it feels to send card after card, year after year saying ultimately the same thing. Though I mean every bit of it every year, should the receiver of those affections become numb to my words and sentiments, I'm afraid it would lose the impact. So to honor you, MOM, I will tell what I think of you on here!

I'm so proud of you for the way you live your life so sacrificially when it comes to not only your family, but your community. The way you cared for Grandpa over the past few years, the way you continue to mother not only your own children, but those of your nieces and nephews...and yes I say nieces (plural) because you've taken them in as family from the beginning. The way you care for all those little kids who have passed through your arms because they tripped on the playground and needed a bandaid or wanted a hug because they don't get that attention at home...you are loving and tender, but treat them with respect and expect them to act accordingly. Oh how I know this... I think I remember lying to you once in my life (I don't remember any others;)!Really! I just knew you expected better behavior of me! And then of course there was Dad's 6'2" frame lingering over us. Without even speaking, it said, "You better listen to your mother." Even the big kids in Powers, all those elderly people...the way you respond to a phone call by going and checking on them. You are a busy woman and I've always given you a hard time for all the activities you commit yourself to. "Mom, you need to take more time for yourself," I've always pushed. But, it's because you are truly a mother that you couldn't/can't give up being that which is wired in you. The way you cheer us on...you've been a great cheerleader. Sometimes it has taken you longer to climb aboard for all my crazy ideas and plans. Never the less, you cheer me on. One of my sweetest memories is picturing you up at the top of the bleachers wearing your proud-parent-of-a-Cruiser face and I knew you were pulling for me. I think you have a little bit of Grandpa Jack in you! And at his funeral when Jim announced how Jack and Alvena had raised up three fine children, I was so proud of you and my uncles. You see, I've always know this about you, but when others celebrate it too, I smile inside. And your hugs, the way you hugged me in my youth when you knew my feelings had been hurt or now later in life when you know so many times life just requires a silent hug. I love you for all of it!

You are a mother to so many, but your my mom and I'm so proud of that and love you so much!

Happy Mother's Day

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an excellent way to honor your Mother. She is very deserving of all your honorable words and emotion. She is always kind, thoughtful, constantly thinking of others, etc. She has her Father's sense of spirit and community, and her Mother's love of family and fellow man. You got much of that yourself, Ms. Steph. She says you got your wanderlust from your Dad! LOL! Keep on writing, we all love to catch-up with you through the blog.
Love,
Sharon