Sunday, December 24, 2006

I Wish for You...

Laughter! Wow, tonight we enjoyed the entertainment of a 2 year old! It has been a while since we've loved playing in the wrapping paper and Garrett, my cousin Micky's little guy, brought us back to the simple pleasures of running back and forth through the mess. I'm still smiling...his first gift was a box full of musical instruments. He wasn't too interested as we all tried to show him how to use his new harmonica. After each attempt, he would grab it out of our hands and take it to the table where we couldn't touch it! He just didn't like it until he learned how to use it and that's when the show began. Clothed in a diaper, he held center stage laughing at us laughing at him and giggling til he had us around his little finger! It was perfectly sweet.

On the flip side, this is the first Christmas we've had without grandpa Jack. He's been in the hospital for the last few days and though Garrett had us going, Gramp was missed. I went to see him again today, but didn't stay because he was out with the medication. I left sad. I've had the most wonderful relationship with my grandpa so I'm not sad in that I feel like I've missed out on something, but having not seen him for the last six months he just isn't the same. I knew he would look older, but as I left the hospital today I kept thinking, "That's just not grandpa. That is not the man I remember." Life, that's really all I can reason.

Turning the corner again. We have developed a family tradition of watching "Christmas Vacation" on Christmas Eve. Every year we watch it as if it is the first time we've ever seen it! Cousin Eddie, we can't get over him and Clark, well, "Who is this Chevy Chase anyway?" We laugh. Of course in all of this, I find LOVE. The love of the Savior in celebrating His arrival and the love of family who I've been blessed to walk through time with.

Merry Christmas from me to you.

No comments: