Wednesday, December 06, 2006

I can smell the cold!

I was just looking at my calendar and realized, "Wow! Only 14 days until I am home for Christmas!" Elated, that's me! All these pictures start flooding my memory, I-5 through Portland over the river, the boring stretch from Corvallis to Eugene, the winding turns on the Powers road and suddenly I see the Leatherman's house as the road begins to drop me into the most familiar territory I have known in my life...I've pounded on these roads with my feet, I've ridden horses and 4-wheelers through these trees, I've "cruised" countless miles along the straight stretch...and I can see the river gorging with water from all the rain. As brown as it is it still carries a mighty power. And the cold...I can smell the cold, feel it as it burns my lungs out on my run in which I see a mere 5 cars (mostly trucks) passing me, crossing into the other lane to steer clear of the runner! And there are the cows...for some reason they have become a significant part of my picture of home...only now as I watch them I can see my brothers newly built house surrendered to the hanging bluffs and supplying the backdrop of this simple picture of home. Home, I can't wait for it to hit all 5 senses!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Much better, I was afraid you had fallen off the face of the technology connection!

LG

Anonymous said...

Child, you never cease to amaze me with your writings and it makes me so happy to know you can "smell" the cold too!! This last blog writing is making me very homesick for you and I can't wait for you to be home with your family!! We love you sooooo much. Mom,Dad and Eric

Anonymous said...

Stephanie,

I just wanted you to know that I am so proud of you. You are truly "wild at heart." I pray you have a great Christmas visit and remember that the Shonkwiler's are only a call away if you ever need us.

We love you Steph!!!
Pastor Ed, joanne and the KKK