Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Pondering...

to reflect or consider with thoroughness and care.

Today, I thought to myself, "this is a day for writing." I have the urge and typing that phrase creates in me a deep stirring and an exasperated throwing up of my hands. Buried are the words, thoughts...maybe an analogy will suffice for what I'm trying to describe! Or maybe just an explanation. I was in Portland last week for the funeral of a sweet, beautiful, young woman who I had the privilege of walking beside during her high school years. In the car driving to and from, I had plenty of time to ponder and talk with God and receive His love and adore Him in return. It's in those times and moments, when my "cup runneth over" in reflecting about life, that I have millions (ok, not millions, but lots) of crashing thoughts. Some day, I do hope I will develop my ability to retain and explore the depths of those thoughts...even to the point of leaving the filter at the door. So, today is a day for writing and the thoughts, they've buried themselves for another visit. I smile because I know they have not disappeared, they're simply chained to a place I am exploring. I desire diligence in my endeavor to free them.

Pondering...success.

Thankfully, the questions I mentioned a few posts prior have relented. I've made a decision to stop living under pressure. Pressure that stems from, ME! I realize we have the great ability to determine our lives lived out. Sure, there are external influences, but we also have choices and many of those are daily choices regarding perspective and attitude. I tend to live under an element of pressure and expectation of success. Only my standard for success was not a measurement I had any control over. No, that's not even it, not control, but definition. My definition of success (and purpose) was one I had adopted from multiple sources. None evil in their own right, but none the less negative to my sense of fulfilling a purpose with my life. So, in keeping step with a book I've recently been thumbing through, it's up to me to determine, through pondering and prayer, how each day is spent in reaching to fulfill a God-given right in life...the ability to spend it...and for a righteous cause...however that might look for MY life and only my life!

So, I'm redefining. Honestly, success (in my past definition) could have been one of two paths-wife, mother etc. or climbing the career ladder, both wonderful paths, but neither that I have chosen. Time may take me by the hand and lead down one or both of those paths, but up to this moment neither of those two have secured me on their trodden ways. So, I've explained this to myself in the words of defeat, missing success. The reality is, I've ultimately, sometimes consciously other times unconsciously, chosen differently. I do desire each of those paths, at different times, but in choosing differently I've come up short. (That's what I've told myself.)Please don't get me wrong, I write this with clarity and an acute awareness that I've been a little too hard on myself. If I asked you about my life, I have no doubt that you'd affirm success, but yours is not my definition. My own rattles around in my head. Surprisingly, I've not been experiencing feelings of defeat having come home. More and more it feels like I've left those old nagging, pestering feelings in my wake and I'm on new ground. That in itself, new ground, feels good...and right.

Success-my definition-roughly, it has everything to do with loving and searching out God and then allowing Him to touch lives through mine...whatever that looks like. And that is something I'm in a conversation with the Lord about.

Well, these thoughts feel rough, but I'd rather post and feel the freedom to do so than polish and expect perfection. Perfection is not a part of my definition of a life of purpose (success).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT & you!!! You MUST find a way to write...for a living! :-) You have an amazing ability to write & I love to read it! It makes me think & reflect on myself! You inspire those around you by just being you! You would be a millionarie if you could do that for a living!! I love you & I treasured our time, short but very sweet! Sorry for the hard surface to lay your head!! I hope you are able to make it camping in June! Much love to you Stepher...can't wait unitl next time! take care & May God make his face shine upon you..you are a gem! XOXO, NTT