Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Gua, Gua, Guatemala

Oh where to begin…
Maybe…

It was this time exactly 5 years ago that I was preparing to leave for 2 months in Costa Rica and here I am.

Or...

I may be 'freaking out' because I lack many details to this whole plan, but the reality is I'm certain of it.  God keeps freaking me out with the way He quietly answers my 'thoughts barely turned prayers' in the midst of December chaos.

Or…

Spanish has eerily been infiltrating my life and seemingly with some ease (the little I know) thanks to the Mexican and Guatemalan men I work with.  "Como se dice…?" (Translated, "How do you say…")

Or maybe…

I'm slowly checking off the list of things keeping me from crossing borders:
  • Appointment for the Travel Clinic (looking like 3-4 shots)
  • Canceling car insurance
  • Quitting my job
  • Prepping nursing school applications so I can hit the send button from Guatemala
  • Formulating thoughts of how YOU can be involved in a project I'm praying will encourage and make those girls at the orphanage experience LOVE.


Here, I'll start here…

I sat with my Gospel Community last night and shared much of what I've been feeling.  I'm over the whole "what am I thinking, I quit my job" and onto how vulnerable I feel going to a place where I am unknown.  I DO NOT FEAR FOR MY SAFETY.  Not that kind of vulnerable.  The kind of vulnerable you feel when you sit in the middle of the room unable to fully communicate or operate according to your former ability!  I find great value in being known and knowing how to operate among my peers, family, friends, co-workers.  It's safe- knowing how and where you fit, but I'm heading into a situation where I have no idea.  And that's where I'm going to stop.  I'm deciding to recognize that which God has orchestrated and deciding to sit back in awe of His ability to provide EVERYTHING.  For all I knew, I had plans to be on my way to Haiti…Guatemala City, here I come.

I'm so excited too!  It may not always seem that way, but when I lift my head from the list and the pile of December distractions, I catch myself imagining life with these girls.  Loving on them, learning from them, and my nurturing soul cannot wait to dote on them.  It brings tears to my eyes to write this.  

I realize many of you are in the dark with many of the details.  Let me share a bit!  In Guatemala City, I will be at an orphanage which houses 62 girls from the age of 6 up to 20.  These girls have been abused, abandoned, and orphaned.  From my understanding, the older girls live in independent housing while the younger ones live in houses with house mothers.  The younger girls, up to grade 9, are educated on the property until they reach a certain age and make their way to public school.  They also have a clinic on the property which serves both the girls and the surrounding community.  (I was super excited to learn this AND to learn that they also have English language classes for the girls…possible opportunities???)  I wish I could share more, but I myself am lacking details.  Rest assured, this blog will provide those along the way.  My hope and prayer, God would stretch both my life and your life in this.  Think BIG!  Maybe a group of my family and friends should spend a week serving some young ladies in Guatemala. 

And one more thing to check off the list…I just purchased my plane ticket in the midst of writing this.  Wanted to be able to share that in this post! ;)

Certainly, MORE TO COME!

San Jose, Costa Rica- March 2006

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those girls are so lucky to be getting you. They will be feeling the love real soon!
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Steph,
Hang in there, all of the details will fall into place. You will be such a positive influence on those girls. xoxox Sarah

The Careys said...

I so clearly remember those first weeks in Ecuador when I wasn't able to put a sentence together. I remember sitting in a room full of people talking and not saying anything. You know me, a talker, and I could hardly communicate. I felt so inadequate, and kinda stupid sometimes. But really, I learned to listen. I learned to watch. I learned to really hear. It was awesome. I'm so excited for you, Steph. And glad my in-laws live in your new neighborhood so you can have someone to speak English with! I know I was so thankful for Alisa when we had our Ecuador adventure together. You are going to make such a difference in Guate and I can't wait to hear about it! :) Love you!