Friday, July 27, 2007

Going Back

There are some places I'd often like to return, but much of the time make excuses, "oh, no I shouldn't, I don't have time" or just don't think outside of a narrowly regimented schedule. I am understanding that things are often more available to me than I usually expect. For example...returning to Malibu, the 'bu, the Rock, Young Life's Malibu Club. Last week, I was on the phone with the folks I worked with in Portland. These are the folks I met at Malibu, in Canada, back in 2000. "You have to come to Malibu the last week of August!" Oh, how I wanted to so badly, but didn't know how to make it work within my regimented thinking. So I started thinking about life outside of the planned calendar of events. I decided it was going to happen and started taking the necessary steps. The photos following show where I will be spending the last week of August serving at the camp during a week long "Military Camp." What?? Yes, the camp will be hosting military families, many if not most, whose fathers are over serving in Iraq.

This place is a place of personal retreat for me, so remote and removed. I spent one summer and part of another here and have some great memories. One of the pictures from the slide show at Gramp's service was taken on the "inner dock." Dad, Gramp, and another buddy were on a fishing trip a few inlets over. We tried to plan a trip for them to hire a water taxi and come over (the only way into camp is by boat or seaplane), but the trip through the inlets was too long for the timing and so I didn't expect to see them. Little did I know the connections they had. I woke up to a phone call on my day off somewhere between 9 and 10 in the morning. Remember, this was my day off (normal days had me up and running at 5am before camp came to life) so I was hoping to sleep in late especially after a night of "silent hockey." My boss called from one of the few phones in camp, "Stephanie, I need you to come down to the office as soon as you can." Yikes! Ok what's going on? I threw on my shorts and pulled my hair back as I descended the rock down to the boardwalk where the office sat. As soon as I got there, a couple of my co-workers started acting funny trying to distract me from the main street boardwalk. Finally, they let me out of the office door and there stood Dad and Gramp about 15 yards down the walk. I was so surprised and still rubbing sleep out of my eyes, but ecstatic to see them and have them on the property. I had 45 minutes to show them all of camp and then they were off again in the seaplane. It was a VERY special time for me...Malibu!



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What beautiful photos. I'm happy you are able to "return" to such a beautiful place - Our Beautiful Daugher with a Beautiful Heart - LOVE U - M&D

Anonymous said...

I too am excited for you! What a beautiful place! You need time "away" like that! What a treasure of a memory too, I LOVE surprises especially ones like that! :-) I can't wait to see you either. Miss & love you...NTT

Karin said...

steph! i am going to malibu with my family on our sailboat - almost the last week of august...wonder if we'll cross paths? thank you for sharing this - i have so many of the same thoughts about this place - so thankful it led me to you!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, these photos are taking me back to the summer of 1971! How fortunate to spend a week there with a Young Life group. A truly beautiful, special place...any job openings???
Sharon

Never Stop Believing said...

write more! I'm getting ready to drop your link on my blog...

you're welcome.

Also, I stole your pic for our writemystory.info site...


jer