Friday, June 08, 2007

Atlantis

Do you remember Christa McAuliffe? I don't remember what grade I was in...second, third... the teachers at our little elementary school gathered all of us into the library to watch the Challenger launch. I remember sitting with Becky Peterson, an older and much smarter student, and as the shuttle split into pieces I sat there baffled. The teachers kind of scrambled and I remember looking at Becky and asking, "Was that supposed to happen?" Her quiet response without taking her eyes off of the tv, "I...don't...know." I cried later when I found out what had happened. As soon as it came out, I bought a book about all of the astronauts on the Challenger. I remember feeling such grief for their families, their children...empathy runs deep.

Do you remember President Reagan's speech?

And I want to say something to the school children of America who were watching the live coverage of the shuttle's takeoff. I know it is hard to understand, but sometimes painful things like this happen. It's all part of the process of exploration and discovery. It's all part of taking a chance and expanding man's horizons. The future doesn't belong to the fainthearted; it belongs to the brave. The Challenger crew was pulling us into the future, and we'll continue to follow them. ...

The crew of the space shuttle Challenger honored us by the manner in which they lived their lives. We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for their journey and waved good-bye and "slipped the surly bonds of earth" to "touch the face of God."


Well, tonight is another launch. Atlantis. I'm headed to Cocoa with some friends to watch the launch and will be back with whatever pictures I am able to capture on my beat-up, well traveled little camera! Oh yes, there have been many launches since the Challenger and other tragedies, but making plans to watch this tonight, live, has launched me back a few years.

4 hours, 39 minutes, 30 seconds and counting. Makes my heart beat faster curiously wondering what they must be thinking as they step into those big orange space suits. What an experience! Looking back on earth... wow.................... ...........................speechless!

Ok, enough rambling for today!

No comments: