Saturday, March 11, 2006

Well, here I am again. Coming to the final days and beginning to look forward to home. In a few hours I will be heading to the Carribean coast, Puerto Limon, with Kathi and Wayne. Kathi is speaking to the women of the church this evening and Wayne is preaching in the morning. I wasn´t planning to go to this side of Costa Rica, not a safe place alone, but am glad to get the chance to see it. I know when I get home I will have many asking about my time here and I am already coming up short of an explanation. :) I didn´t know what to expect coming here and all that has happened has been nothing I expected!!! I know that doesn´t make sense!

This morning I ventured through San Jose all alone. I made my way to the vendors and then to a neat little cafe in the same building as the post office, Cafe del Correo. I realized as I sat there with my journal it was the first time I´ve had coffee alone to read and write in a Costa Rican cafe. Sounds silly to some of you, I´m sure, but one of my favorites is getting alone with a book, pen, and journal at a coffee shop. However, that´s not the point! I came across a story my dear mom sent me in the past years that I recently placed in this particular journal. It goes like this..."The pencil maker took the pencil aside, just before putting it into the box. "There are five things you need to know before I send you out into the world," he said. "Always remember these five things, and you´ll be a great pencil. One: You are capable of many great things, but only if you allow yourself to be held in someone´s hand. Two: You will experience a painful sharpening from time to time, but you´ll need it to become a better pencil. Three: You have the ability to correct the mistakes you make. Four: The most important part of you will always be what´s inside. And Five: On every surface where you are used, regardless of its condition, you must leave your mark." -Author Unknown- We leave a mark everywhere we go. I am leaving a mark here and the people I have met have left marks on me. The dangerous part is that it can be either beautiful or destructive. Of course, the desire is the first. I want it to be said of me that my mark was gentle and full of color. That it would draw the same out of others. Maybe the pencil story was one of colored pencils!!! Yes, that would be better!

This next week will be full as two seperate conventions take place. I will be staying with Virginia (in the kitchen photo) and her girls as Kathi and Wayne will be hosting others from the US and Central America. I am looking forward to staying with them...more Spanish immersion before I come home!

Today, one of the vendors I spoke with (in Spanish!!!) said he had spent time in the U.S. last year. His impression was that we are very busy. Rapido, rapido! Yes, I agree. Too busy most of the time. Here, life has slowed down for me and the Lord has loved on my soul. Today, I hope you have time to slow down and watch for Him...maybe in the sunrise, or I guess for those in the NW, the sound of the rain.

4 comments:

David & Nikki said...

Stepher,
Thanks so much for allowing all of us "in" on your adventure through CR. It is has been exciting, great to see your beautiful photos, & awesome to be able to read your blog journal. I really liked your pencil story! Very fitting for this (that) moment. I love you dearly & can't wait to see your beautiful face. Enjoy your last week there. I am sure you will feel torn; leaving vs coming home. I am most certain you have made a colorfull impression on all the peoples hearts you have touched! YOU are an AMAZING WOMAN! I thought I "knew" you before this & now I "know" you a LOT better! Take care, XOXO, NTT

Anonymous said...

mi hermana,

I check your blog everyday and it is like a little source of encouragement, and I can't wait to see how you are doing. You are so amazing steph and such an example for many of us to live by. I want to thank you for being so obedient to our Father, He is using you in so many ways that you will never know. I have been praying for you and your safety and I know He is watching over you and guiding your every step.We miss you so much here at home and can't wait to be encouraged by the stories you share with what you have experienced.

You have left your colorful mark on me.


~LG

Karin said...

a joy a joy a joy that you will soon be coming home. i think and pray for you so often and have missed our coffee dates. i cannot wait to talk to you more about the adventures. blessings and safe travels my sister.

Anonymous said...

Hi! It has been wonderful to read the steps of your journey as you have let us walk with you in Costa Rica. I am excited to sit down with you as you integrate yourself back into our culture. I am looking forward to experiencing with you the places that God has imprinted Himself in your heart. I have missed our walks and times of chatting about our Savior. The princess Warriors have all missed you. We are hoping to have a whole night for you to share over dinner your experiences when you get home. If you get a chance, email and let me know which Tuesday you will return to us. Your new books awaits your return. We are studying, Her Name Is Woman, and it has been very impacting on us all so far as we are concentrating on the Word of God. In these last few days as you are in a place where Jesus sees the needs of the masses, ask to be given the eyes of Christ so you can take in everything He wishes to show you while you are there. I look forward to your return and the impact you will have on the others around you.

Isaiah 40:31
"They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings as eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint."

Love you darling

Pastor Denise