Saturday, September 25, 2010

The B-I-B-L-E

I added two new favorite books to my profile page.  I guess I don't have a lot of favorites, I've listed all of three, but I try to read and have tried to read more fiction in the last few years.  I tend to lean toward books that are heavy in thought or analysis of life…much to the influence of my personality (a bend toward intentional development) and nice people (with a bend toward intentional development!).

One time in my life, beginning in January 1998 through about March/April 1999, I did the "read through the Bible in a year" venture.  (Yes, you did the math right.  It took me more than a year, but I did finish!) Admittedly, I don't remember much and tended to read to check it off. It was difficult to balance with Jr./Sr. year obligations and a college social life and calendar.  More recently, after reading about a friend who has summoned the courage to continuously reread the ENTIRE Bible year after year (and upon remembering others who do the same), my appetite was roused and I committed to the adventure.  I have a little paperback Bible (which I decorated with stickers of things I like; see photo on the left) so I can take it with me and I'm more inclined to read (more aesthetically pleasing than the original cover).  It's great!  It's already set up for me to flip open to the day and read something from the Old Testament, the New Testament, a Psalm and a verse from Proverbs.  Some days I miss and make up along the way.  Some days I read and it hits a good spot in my soul and resounds deep.  Many days I read and think, "Huh?  Boy I wish I had a Bible professor here to explain."  Ultimately, I believe it is good and restorative to read scripture.  The Word is alive and active.  In the midst of confusion in just living, I grapple with walking faithfully and purposefully.  I'm trusting that if I commit to reading and seeking God's wisdom and guiding Hand, I'm doing a part in being faithful and purposeful.  Consequently, just getting to know Him and spend time with Him and in doing so, finding His true character amidst the ramming of lies and life and small thinking is where I want to find my treasure. 

The reading can take anywhere from 15 minutes to and hour…all depending on me! and how thoughtful I am while reading.:)  The more inquisitive/thoughtful, the longer it takes.  This usually happens on my days off.  And with a cup of coffee.

One last thing, one of the leaders at the church I attend, bread&wine, recently posted this video.  If you have three minutes, have a watch…such sweet perspective and what a reminder.  Reading the Bible- it's about Jesus, it's about getting to know Him.

No comments: