Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Digging in my closet...

Resounding gong here...I've said it before, I'll say it again- I like to get rid of stuff! I honestly don't know how I can continue to get rid of things other than the possibility that each time dig through the same things and each time I'm able to let go of a little more. Mostly I'm referring to old journals here. Yesterday, I finished my anatomy and physiology class, working toward nursing! I usually get the sudden urge, once something is completed, to get rid of all unnecessary leftovers that simply become extra boxes in moving. (Sidenote: Yes, I will be moving, eventually. Our current home is going on the market.) So, I began to dig in my closet and through some piles of journals and old books trying to decide their fates. And in this task, I ALWAYS GET CAUGHT sneaking into the old journals and reading my thoughts. It is most often painful, but it is also really incredible to see God's transformative work in my life. I have long wanted to toss these old books out, they carry angst and worry and too---WAY TOO MUCH analyzing. It actually wears me out to reread them. {sigh} However, I can't seem to let them go just yet. In 1999, I wrote a prayer wondering if nursing would be a good direction for me to go. Really? It is affirming to see that thought "documented" as though I have this need to know it's not a new thought or theme. Throughout these journals, I am able to see the threads and themes of desires that keep whispering to my heart. I do find this comforting, and I find this to be a push in becoming active toward those whispers. To stop analyzing and questioning and just act. To make decisions that might be mistakes and come back with, "It's never a wrong decision if you are a learner in it."


Yes, these journals are repetivite. Yes, this blog is repetivite. Some things are worth repeating, some things are not. At Christmas, I'll repeat the sounding joy. The scriptures repeat, "Holy, Holy, Holy!" -Rev. 4:8 Life too, seems to repeat. Our behavior patterns, good and bad seem to be repetitive. By default we repeat. In action, we can choose to repeat or change. Again, not all repitition is bad.

Below is from a notebook I carry in my bag with me. I keep quotes, addresses, lists of books, thoughts etc. in it. This is from NYC, 12-13-2009, with my roommates-Annie, Karin, and Gretchen. I got up early one morning, left for a coffee shop (ending up at Starbucks) and watched out the window...


"No matter what city I travel to, no matter the history, grandeur, uniqueness, brilliance-whatever...we are souls walking through time.


I keep seeing the same lady making circles or rather laps around Union Square...analogous to life lived in fear. Walking the same circle seeing the same things, maybe even walking in a different direction to see a different angle, but still the same square. How often do we live our lives this way? Never crossing the street to leave the comfort of familiarity , never risking, never having faith-believing and trusting it's safe to leave the familiar for the unfamiliar--safe in YOUR security, safe in YOUR promises."

I recently spent an evening with some leaders from my gospel community having dessert and praying (such a great combo!). Tonight as I prepared to publish this post, I came across a notecard from that evening. As we prayed I wrote different thoughts that struck me and in light of the NYC thought above, this little prayer card carried a little more weight. "I want to live wrecklessly." That's all. Fear vs. wrecklessness or maybe a better word would be abandonment. I don't know, it just strikes me and I'm worn out trying to analyze the many possible paths. In my terms, wreckless living does not mean living without intention, but living without fear. From the Chronicles of Narnia, "He's not safe, but He's good.

Sounds good, here I go...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

s, thanks for writing this, and for living this. I needed the reminder.